Medic was established in 1958 by Carl Nelson, MD, under the sponsorship of the Knoxville Academy of Medicine. Area physicians supported the independent, not-for-profit blood center because they wanted a source of blood from volunteer donors, and they desired centralization of blood collection, testing and distribution. Medic's operational and capital costs are financed by blood supplier processing fees charged to hospitals. Medic is the only U.S. blood center which has a Blood Coverage Program covering members' blood supplier processing fees at any hospital in the country. Medic is an accredited member of the American Association of Blood Banks and America's Blood Centers. The center adheres to the blood product safety regulations established by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is licensed by the FDA and the State of Tennessee.
Today, MEDIC Regional Blood Center is the sole provider of products for 28 area hospitals:
MEDIC must collect 300 pints of blood every day of the work week in order to adequately fulfill hospital orders. For a complete listing of blood drives, please click here.